1984 ~ 2019 (age 34)

Born John Michael Frierson Jr. on November 3, 1984 at Brook Army Medical Center, Fort Sam Houston, TX to Annette Cerase and John M. Frierson.

Annette later met and married Anthony Cerase on January 1988. John, was two years old when Annette met Anthony, together, they cared for John. As a young child, John traveled the world, moving and attending different schools.

Growing up, he assemble quite an impressive basketball card collection, his favorite basketball player was Jason Kidd, which he emulated his basketball game after. While in Germany, he would record basketball games over any VHS tape he could get his hands on, at time even recording over our good movies, being a true student of the game and in particular, studying Jason Kidd. John, would never want to shoot the ball, but opted to passing and controlling the game with his fabulous dribble, much like Jason Kidd. Throughout games you could always hear his mother in a thunderous shout "John shoot the ball, shoot the ball," he would just locate his mother in the stands, smile and shake his head, as though saying, Mom, I got this, please don't embarrass me. He would play basketball from sun-up to sun-down, and if he didn't have a goal, well, he would improvise by making one out of any material he could find; once while at his grandpa's house, making a basketball goal out of an old bicycle rim and a cardboard box, so he could play ball. John carried on, playing basketball through high school.

As a teen, while attending high school John worked as a grocery bagger at Kroger's, until graduating from Northeast High School, in Clarksville TN. Following his graduation and receiving college offers, he opted to enlist in the Air Force, completing his basic training at Lackland Air Force Base. His first duty assignment was at Nellis AFB, in Las Vegas, NV and deployed in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom. He was a young 19 year old, so, going to the casinos was not an option. He went on to marry his mother's best friend's daughter Neshia Benson. Following his six years of service to our country, he returned home to San Antonio, TX. John, got a government contracting job, and once again went to Kuwait, to work as a contracting supporting the troops overseas. When he returned from Kuwait, he continued his education attending St. Philips College, and also received a certificate in HVAC services.

John is preceded in death by his grandparents: Lincoln Smith Sr., Kathleen Smith, and Arnetta Perkins of Live Oak, FL.; two aunts, Stella Sterling and Jeannette Smith. He is survived by his mother Annette Cerase, father John M. Frierson Sr., stepfather Anthony Cerase, bother Xavier Cerase, and sister Tasha Cerase; uncles, Lincoln Smith Jr., Johnny Smith, Marlon Smith, Kelly Perkins; aunts Brooksie Smith, Felecia Jackson, Vinny Worthy of Live Oak FL; he has many more cousins. He leaves behind his four year old daughter Aulani Frierson.

© 2019 Lewis Funeral Home. All Rights Reserved.